Two paid Getty internships this summer – please apply!April 6th, 2012 Posted by freewaves News, Open Calls No Comment yet
FREEWAVES is offering two paid internships for undergraduates this summer through generous support from The Getty Grant Program.
FREEWAVES Multicultural Undergraduate Summer Internships 2012 are for 2 positions, Web Intern and Marketing Intern, both for 10-weeks, full-time, $3,500 gross salary in Hollywood.
In accordance with The Getty Grant Program, candidates must be:
- Members of underrepresented groups, particularly individuals of African American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, or Pacific Islander descent.
- Currently enrolled as undergraduates, who will have completed at least one semester of college by June 2012, and will not graduate before September 2012.
- Residents of or attending college in Los Angeles County. Students who have previously served as interns for this program more than twice are not eligible for this internship.
Overview: From early June through August 2012, The Getty Multicultural Undergraduate Interns will undertake a variety of tasks, all entailing a high degree of computer literacy and communications competency. All of the tasks will be part of Freewaves long time initiative to disseminate the new media arts.
Location: Both internships are located at Freewaves’ office at LACE (6522 Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood CA)
Marketing Intern Responsibilities: Provides promotional support for bus video project, Out the Window; book and DVD sales; DIY Video Fest initiative; and website.
- Out the Window – assist with marketing implementation
- Book/DVD – assist with sales activities
- DIY Video Fest initiative – outreach to student demographic
- Online marketing and optimization of Freewaves’ new web site, including blog (in conjunction with web intern).
Requirements for Marketing Intern:
- Good writing skills
- Detail oriented, accurate, and thorough.
- Knowledge of media arts preferable.
- Good computer skills (will need to use/learn Word, FileMaker, Photoshop and the internet, including social media).
- Ability to work in a small, busy office with concentration.
- Ability to work independently.
Web Intern Responsibilities: Projects related to both to the Freewaves organizational website and Out the Window project-specific website. This includes enhancements planned for the future:
- Assist adding new content (videos to the back-end database), including compressing artist videos and preparing screen shots
- Work with Freewaves staff, technical advisors, programmer and designer to develop enhanced site pages and perform technical troubleshooting.
- Assist with site optimization.
- Produce written and visual materials for web site and related marketing efforts.
- General database maintenance.
Requirements for Web Intern:
- Knowledge of html/css, Dreamweaver and WordPress preferred.
- Good writing and communication skills.
- Ability to work diplomatically in a team environment (in meetings, via email and on the phone).
- Detail oriented, accurate, and thorough including ability to troubleshoot own work for errors and functionality.
- Knowledge of media arts preferable.
- Knowledge of both Mac and PC environments required.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Freewaves strives to offer summer interns practical work experience and a range of assignments. Interns will be trained by and work under the supervision of Freewaves Director Anne Bray.
In past years, Freewaves interns have developed skills in numerous software programs including:
- Excel and Word (advanced features)
- Video compression programs
How to Apply for this Internship:
First familiarize yourself with Freewaves’ programs through its web site (www.freewaves.org and www.out-the-window.org). If the sites and Freewaves interest you, forward a resumé and a cover letter explaining reasons for interest and addressing how you meet the eligibility guidelines for the internship set by the Getty. If you are applying for the web internship, please send us URLs of your work (sites you’ve designed or worked on). We will be interviewing in late April/early May, and will contact you for an appointment if we are interested.
Email your application materials to:
Jason Lipshin, Program Assistant, at firstname.lastname@example.org
By Thursday, April 26, 2012.
6522 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Freewaves is dedicated to the creative exhibition of innovative and culturally relevant independent new media from around the world. Freewaves facilitates cross-cultural dialogues by inventing dynamic new media exhibition forms at experimental and established venues.