FREEWAVES is offering two paid internships for undergraduates this summer
through generous support from The Getty Grant Program.
FREEWAVES Multicultural Undergraduate Summer Internships 2011 are for 2
positions, Web Intern and Marketing Intern, both for 10-weeks, full-time,
$3,500 gross salary in Hollywood.
In accordance with The Getty Grant Program, candidates must be:
* Members of underrepresented groups, particularly individuals of African
American, Asian, Latino/Hispanic, Native American, and Pacific Islander
* Currently enrolled as undergraduates, who will have completed at least
one semester of college by June 2011, and will not graduate before
* Residents of or attending college in Los Angeles County. Students who
have previously served as Interns for this program more than twice are not
eligible for this internship.
Overview: From early June through August 2010, The Getty Multicultural
Undergraduate Interns will undertake a variety of tasks, all entailing a
high degree of computer literacy and communications competency. All of the
tasks will be part of Freewaves long time initiative to disseminate the new
Location: Both internships are located at Freewaves’ office at LACE (6522
Hollywood Blvd in Hollywood CA)
Marketing Intern Responsibilities: Provides promotional support for bus
video project, Out the Window; book and DVD sales; workshops; DIY Video
Fest initiative; and website.
– Out the Window – assist with marketing implementation
– Book/dvd – assist with sales activities
– DIY Video Fest initiative – outreach to student demographic
– Online marketing and optimization of Freewaves’ new web site, including
blog (in conjunction with web intern).
Requirements for Marketing Intern:
– Good writing skills
– Detail oriented, accurate, and thorough.
– Knowledge of media arts preferable.
– Good computer skills (will need to use/learn Word, FileMaker, Photoshop
and the internet, including social media).
– Ability to work in a small, busy office with concentration.
– Ability to work independently.
Web Intern Responsibilities: Projects related to both to the Freewaves
organizational website and Out the Window project-specific website. This
includes enhancements planned for the future:
– Assist adding new content (videos to the back-end database), including
compressing artist videos and preparing screen shots
– Work with Freewaves staff, technical advisors, programmer and designer
to develop enhanced site pages and perform technical troubleshooting.
– Assist with site optimization.
– Produce written and visual materials for web site and related marketing
– General database maintenance.
Requirements for Web Intern:
– Knowledge of html, Dreamweaver and WordPress preferred.
– Ability to code highly desirable though not required. (Java,
– Good writing and communication skills.
– Ability to work diplomatically in a team environment (in meetings, via
email and on the phone).
– Detail oriented, accurate, and thorough including ability to
troubleshoot own work for errors and functionality.
– Knowledge of media arts preferable.
– Knowledge of both Mac and PC environments required.
– Ability to work independently and collaboratively.
Freewaves strives to offer summer interns practical work experience and a
range of assignments. Interns will be trained by and work under the
supervision of Freewaves Director Anne Bray and Assistant Director Heidi
In past years, Freewaves interns have developed skills in numerous
software programs including:
– Excel and Word (advanced features)
– Video compression programs
How to Apply for this Internship:
First familiarize yourself with Freewaves’ programs through its web site
(www.freewaves.org and www.out-the-window.org). If the sites and Freewaves
interest you, forward a resumé and a cover letter explaining reasons for
interest and addressing how you meet the eligibility guidelines for the
internship set by the Getty. If you are applying for the web internship,
please send us URLs of your work (sites you’ve designed or worked on). We
will be interviewing in late April/early May, and will contact you for an
appointment if we are interested.
Email your application materials to:
Sam Woolley, Program Assistant, at email@example.com
By Sunday, April 24, 2011.
6522 Hollywood Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90028
Freewaves is dedicated to the creative exhibition of innovative and
culturally relevant independent new media from around the world. Freewaves
facilitates cross-cultural dialogues by inventing dynamic new media
exhibition forms at experimental and established venues.